Yes, by ‘Section 235 (1) of Companies Act 2016’, at least one ‘Company Secretary’ must be appointed in the company.
The ‘Company Secretary’ is neither clerical nor secretarial. Instead, the role of ‘Company Secretary’ is more oriented towards company conduct governance and advisory, which is a high level senior position in a private limited company or public company.
Ensuring company’s compliance with companies act 2016
He or she must be a Malaysian whose age is over or equal to 18, with recognition from professional bodies such as
- The Malaysian Association of The Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (MAICSA)
- Malaysian Association of Company Secretaries
- The Malaysian Bar
- The Malaysian Institute of Accountants (MIA)
- Malaysian Association of Certified Public Accountants (MACPA)
- The Sabah Law Association and The Advocates’ Association of Sarawak.